Monday, March 8, 2010

"How did you first hear about SoSH?" or "Why did you choose the 'sfip' username?"

This entry isn't a counterargument like most of these entries, but it's a response to 2 questions I've frequently been asked.

I started chatting on the Boston Herald's Red Sox forum site late in the 2002 baseball season. I used to post there as "soxfaninphilly" since I figured the latter part of that would be unique on the site. The problem was that you had to type out your username every time you posted. Eventually I got lazy and typed the acronym "sfip" each time.

When I had the longer username, someone posted to me that he/she thought I posted on Sons of Sam Horn, which I hadn't heard of at the time. Looking back, I don't know if the person thought I was philly sox fan or if there was some other reason. Regardless, the Herald's Sox forum site went down in early 2003. I wanted to find another site where I could talk about the Red Sox with other Sox fans, especially since there weren't many Sox fans for me to talk to in the Philly area. Remembering that someone asked me if I post on Sons of Sam Horn, I checked out SoSH. When I decided to join and it was time to choose a username, I simply and lazily took my "sfip" username from the Herald site and stuck with it. Unfortunately I didn't know about philly sox fan at the time, which made it look like I copied my username from his.

No comments: